Electric fireplaces are a modern convenience. They are easy to install, run on electricity, and require no venting. You don’t need to stockpile wood, tend the burning logs, and clean up the soot and ashes if you have an electric fireplace. However, many people find it difficult to turn on an electric fireplace. It’s not at all difficult to turn on an electric fireplace. Just like any other electric device, you have to follow some procedures to make it work.
Table of Contents
How to Turn on an Electric Fireplace Without Remote?
Though most of the models come with remote control, some electric fireplaces come without a remote. Sometimes, remote controls are not dependable too. It can get lost or run out of batteries. So, it’s necessary to learn how to turn on an electric fireplace without a remote. The best place to know about turning on an e-fireplace is the user manual. Most of the user manuals describe how to install, start, and maintain your e-fireplace. However, the basics are the same for all e-fireplaces. I’m going to discuss the most common ways to turn on an electric fireplace. How to turn on an electric fireplace?
- Plug the electric fireplace straight into a nearby wall socket.
- Try not to use an extension cable or surge protector. Plug it in directly into the wall socket.
- If your manufacturer recommends using an extension cord, do it.
- Make sure the wall socket is switched on.
- Find the controls on your e-fireplace to turn it on.
- The location of the controls may be different, depending on the model of your EF.
- Typically, you can find the switches on the front or sides of the unit with or without a cover.
- Turn on the power switch of your electric fireplace. Switching the power on will also turn on the flames.
- Turn on the heat switch on the fireplace.
- When your e-fireplace is on, you can control the heating switches (high heat and low heat) to adjust the heating level.
- Set the thermostat dial above the current room temperature.
Effects of Thermostat on the E-Fireplace
Most of the e-fireplaces have a thermostat to keep the room at a consistent temperature. With the help of a thermostat, an e-fireplace can adjust its heat output and make sure that the room stays at the right temperature. When your room is colder than the temperature set on the thermostat, the heater will automatically start working to reach the temperature set on the thermostat. When the ideal temperature is achieved, the heater will keep the room at this temperature. Now, the CAUTION is, if the thermostat is set to a temp lower than the room temp, the EF heater won’t turn on. So, keep your thermostat temp higher than room temp to automate the heater.
How to Turn on an E-Fireplace with Remote?
The process is quite similar to turning on an e-fireplace without a remote. Just make sure that the power of the wall socket and the e-fireplace is on. Then use the remote to turn on and control the fireplace. Make sure your remote works perfectly. Change the battery if necessary.
Electric Fireplace Won’t Turn on
Sometimes it happens that your electric fireplace won’t turn on. You try this way and that way, but still, it doesn’t turn on. If there is a technical problem, you need to call an expert electrician to solve the problem. But how do you know whether there’s a technical problem or a simple connection problem? Well, we’ve to go through the basics of turning on an electric fireplace and see if we overlooked any necessary steps.
- Make sure the fireplace is plugged directly into the wall socket.
- Get rid of any extension cable and plug straight into the outlet.
- Check the power switch of the outlet. Is it on or off?
- Ensure that the main power button of your electric fireplace is turned on.
- Use your remote if your fireplace came with remote control.
- Make sure the remote works perfectly.
- Check whether the power cable is bent or over-stretched.
- Don’t put the e-fireplace in a confined space.
- Make sure it’s free from any obstruction and all the parts are clean.
- Examine the fuse of your electric fireplace and change it if necessary.
- Try another outlet.
- Contact the manufacturer if the fireplace is new and within a warranty period.
- Call an expert electrician if nothing works.
How to Turn off an Electric Fireplace?
Simply disconnecting the electricity will turn off your e-fireplace. However, to avoid any damage to the unit, you need to follow the user manual of your device. In fact, reversing the procedures to turn on the fireplace will turn off the fireplace. Here’s how you can turn off an electric fireplace cleanly:
- Turn off the heating switches.
- Switch off the main power button on the electric fireplace.
- Turn off the power switch on the outlet.
- Remove the power cord from the wall socket.
It’s always best practice to switch off the e-fireplace before unplugging it from the wall socket. Also, keep the appliance unplugged when it’s not in use.
I hope you’ve turned your electric fireplace on after reading this. If not, there must be technical problems within your electric fireplace. Read the user manual and check if you’ve done anything wrong. A user manual is the best guide for your electric fireplace. Don’t do anything technical if you’re not an expert. You may mess up and damage the unit. Contact the manufacturer if you have a warranty. Otherwise, you need the help of an expert electrician.